Disponible en Español
The white zone along Randall is a no parking and no stopping zone. You cannot drop your child off on that street. it is a very narrow street with two way traffic and that space is needed for the buses to drop off children safely, including those in the special day program.
However, there is a great drop off zone on Chenery at the front of the school. That white zone is to drop off your child in the morning and is staffed by volunteer parents. In order for it to go smoothly please observe the following rules:
- Use your blinkers to signal you are pulling in or pulling out. This makes it much easier on the volunteers and is safer for our community.
- Pull all the way forward in the white zone. Do not stop midway.
- Wait your turn. Do not cross over into on-coming traffic lanes, it really only takes 30-60 seconds to clear out.
- Do not get out of your car. The parent in the white zone will open the door and assist your child out.
- Before you get to Fairmount please ensure your child has his or her belongings, knows the pickup plan, etc. Once you are at the white zone it is time to get out quickly and safely and last minute reminders of things cause confusion.
- For pre-K families who are supposed to walk your child in, please find a legal parking spot. The white zone is not available to park in even for a quick minute.
- When you pull out (using your signal), please first look for bicyclists and other cars and then continue all the way to 30th street. 3 point turns (particularly right in front of the school) are exceedingly disruptive and dangerous given the visibility at that particular stop. Go to 30th and turn left or right, depending on your final destination.
- Please volunteer! We need at least 10 parents to volunteer about 20 minutes a week and it makes a huge difference for the whole school community as well as the neighborhood around the school. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to join up.
The police have and will ticket anyone parked in the white zone before 9am and in the afternoon.
For the afternoon, do not ever, for any reason, double park on Chenery or park in the white zone on Randall. Please drive to find an empty parking spot and walk back to the school to pick up your child. We have had numerous close calls and at least one child actually hit when it is nutty in the afternoon. A two block walk is usually the most you would have to do. This is such a safety issue.
Looking forward to a great, safe year!