Disponible en Español
ELAC is part of the SSC (Student Site Council). ELAC is responsible in advising the SSC, the staff, and the principal on the needs of the English learners. It does so by advising on the academic plan and the school budget.
Each school with 21 or more students of Limited English Proficiency (LEP) in attendance, regardless of language, must form a functioning English Learner Advisory Committee (ELAC).
The ELAC membership must include parents of English learners. Other members may include principal, teachers, and other community members.
Another responsibility is to assist in increasing school attendance. The committee has worked on this in the past through school attendance awards and curbside drop off.
ELAC has focused on activities to close the achievement gap of our students through various activities; which include two literacy nights and by providing snacks to children taking the state mandated assessment tests.
ELAC’s other goal is parent involvement. The committee continues to work on this through monthly meetings and community building activities (monthly social coffee mornings).
- Increase Latino family involvement
- Close the academic achievement gap between English learners and native English speakers
- Highlight Latino arts and culture
- Provide information for the Latino community
- Support Spanish speaking parents
- Provide educational workshops
- Improve literacy development
- Create unity among the Fairmount community
- Support the school